Friday, June 15, 2007

Sheriff Clark Dead and Palestine Divided

I didn’t know Jim Clark, a former sheriff of Selma, Alabama, had died. He passed away on 4th of this month. He, one of the main characters in Taylor Branch’s King biography, stopped King’s march to Montgomery at the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

*
Fatah and Hamas are clashing in the Gaza Strip. Reports are saying that Hamas is now in full control of the area. Absolutely detrimental for bolstering the nationhood dream. And hypocrisy of those countries that originally supported Hamas, tacitly or otherwise, as a counterweight to the PLO is shameful. See who's laughing.

*
“A Burnt-Out Case” (Graham Greene): Querry, feeling contempt, tell the journalist, Parkinson, his story, and visits Rycker, a plantation man and the source of information to protest.

“I have never felt remorse. Never. You all dramatize too much. We can retire from feeling just as naturally as we retire from a job…”

“[A Christian marriage is] far better than a marriage of passion. But if you want to know the truth, my heart is always in my faith.”
“I begin to think we are not so different, you and I. We don’t know what love is. You pretend to love a god because you love no one else. But I won’t pretend. All I have left me is a certain regard for the truth. It was the best side of the small talent I had. You are inventing all the time, Rycker, aren’t you? There are men with a woman who talk about love to prostitutes – they daren’t even excuse them. You’ve even invented this idea of me to justify yourself. But I won’t play your game, Rycker.”

“When I look at you,” Rycker said, “I can see a man tormented.”
“Oh no you can’t. I haven’t felt any pain at all in twenty years. It needs something far bigger than you to cause me pain.”
“Whether you like or not, you have set an example to all of us.”
“An example of what?”
“Unselfishness and humanity,” Rycker said.

Querry takes Rycker’s very young and unhappy wife, Marie, to a Luc doctor to see if she is pregnant.

*
公認を得られなかったことを理由に離党届を提出した公明党の参議院議員。同党は除名処分にする方針だそうで、「竹入さん」と同様、裏切り者として聖教新聞でこっぴどく叩かれるだろう。

*
あぁぁぁぁ。鴨なんばんが食べたい。にしんそばでもいい……。

No comments: