Saturday, June 16, 2007

Rainy Day

“A Burnt-Out Case” (Graham Greene): Marie Rycker follows Querry from Luc and causes a shocking scandal in the village by saying the baby she is carrying is his.

“Is it any use asking you to tell Father Thomas the truth?”
“Well, I’ve rather burned my boats, haven’t I?”
“You’ve burned the only house I have,” Querry said.
“I just had to escape,” she explained apologetically. For the first time he was confronted by an egoism as absolute as his own…

“I think [Rycker] wants to believe the worst. It makes him Querry’s equal, don’t you see, when they fight over the same girl.” [Parkinson] added with a somewhat surprising insight, “He can’t bear not being important.”

“It was my hope to end up in the same patch of ground as you and she. We would have made an atheist corner between us.”
“I wonder if you would have qualified for that.”
“Why not?”
“You’re too troubled by your lack of faith, Querry. You keep on fighting it like a sore you want to get rid of. I am content with the myth; you are not – you have to believe or disbelieve.”

“You spoke just now as though he had been cured.”
“I really think he was. He’d learned to serve people, you see, and to laugh. An odd laugh, but it was a laugh all the same. I’m frightened of people who don’t laugh.”
The Superior said shyly, “I thought perhaps you meant that he was beginning to find his faith again.”
“Oh no, not that. Only a reason for living. You try too hard to make a pattern, father.”
“But if the pattern’s there… you haven’t a cheroot have you?”
“No.”
The Superior said, “We all analyse motives too much. I said that once to Father Thomas. You remember what Pascal said, that a man who starts looking for God has already found him. The same may be true of love – when we look for it, perhaps we’ve already found it.”

*
朝日、読売、毎日、産経、日経の各紙で、ハマス(Hamas)を「イスラム過激派」の枕詞で飾っているのは朝日新聞だけだ。他紙は「イスラム原理主義組織」を使っている。理由は何だろう?

ハマス支配のガザとファタハ(Fatah)支配の西岸に分離してしまったようなパレスチナ。残念でならない。ハマスを敵視するだけでは問題解決にはならないだろう。ハマスが行ってきた医療や教育の分野での支援活動をパレスチナ人民が支持し、それが昨年1月の総選挙での勝利に貢献したことは否定できない。ファタハを中心にしてきたPLOの無力と汚職の証でもある。

アラファトのファタハを主流としたPLOがパレスチナ問題を風化させじと航空機のハイジャックやミュンヘンのオリンピック村占拠を実行していた頃、各紙は彼らを「パレスチナ・ゲリラ」、すなわち過激派扱いしていたのではなかったか。ハマスが表舞台に登場してから、ファタハは穏健派と呼ばれるようになった。

ちなみに、「ユダヤ人国家」は「ユダヤ人のための国家」であり、「イスラエル国民のための国家」ではない。

Folks, please watch (at least) “Mur (Wall),” “Divine Intervention” and “Paradise Now” and read Edward W. Said and Noam Chomsky. Don’t be deceived by the big media.

*
A miracle is happening. The “alt” key is working again!

*
This day started with rain and now it is raining again.

*
From “The Economist” (June 16): “Marriage is ‘a wealth-generating institution’? I can only assume you have not had the opportunity of meeting my wife.” – Ian Dane, Walton-on-Thames, Surry

No comments: