Sunday, October 02, 2016

I Would Love to Put This Certified English Teacher in Language ICU



Last night on Facebook, a seemingly-long-lost friend now back in
Korea uploaded a message, and a Singaporean guy and I replied.
Years ago, three of us were in the same class to be certified to teach
English to those whose first language is not English, something
variably called “TESOL,” “ESL” or “EFL.” I don’t know how many more
ways there are to call that. And this guy, who I believe completed the
required course and got certified as such, said in his messages to me
or the seemingly-long-lost friend, “We are racist” and “I’m looking
forward to see you.” Ha! A certified English teacher uses such
horrifying grammar and doesn’t care about it. Having been
communicating with Singaporeans for the past 16 years, I do wonder
\if they are aware of these mistakes but don’t care about them or if
they don’t know they are making mistakes, to being with. And he is
the one who asked me in class to have a look at the final report I had
submitted, saying, “I will not copy it.” He and I used to be FB friends,
but I “unfriended” him because none of what he uploaded interested
me.  
 
Alcohol intake record:
September 30 (Fri.) – October 2 (Sun.): red wine

No comments: