Monday, April 28, 2008

Heat Island and Mosquito Mystery

Oppressive heat… and a mosquito was attacking me this early morning. I turned on the air-conditioner even though I don’t like “mechanical wind,” desperately hoping that the mosquito may decide to take a rest with a cooler temperature. No chance. The success rate of her sorties seemed increasing. Then, I turned on the bedside lamp to try to find the stealth creature. No trace of it. So frustrated, I moved to the living room to sleep on the sofa. The female flyer followed me to the room. I was keeping slapping myself feeling bites. When I moved back to my room, it was 6 am. And I found a crushed tiny black thing in my hand. I finally won this fierce battle after suffering seven bits altogether. My blood must be incredibly sweet for female mosquitoes. They love me so much!

Well, mosquitoes insert their needles indiscriminately, regardless of the blood type they feed themselves on. How can they? Why doesn’t it cause any complication from mixing different blood types inside their little bodies? What’s the mechanism of their blood digestion? They have no trouble with blood transfusion, unlike us, poor human beings.

No comments: