Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Place Smaller or My Mind Narrower, Or Both?

I’m finding my place is becoming smaller and smaller. Often I have trouble to find where to be which makes me want to stay home. I mean that I have great difficulty to find like-minded people toward learning. Learning anything that is an intellectual stimulus in a slight sense is a life-long matter. In my case, one of such things is language. One has so many things to learn even with his first language. Or is this something particular about my first language and how I have learned it? And so many more when it comes to his non-first languages. Language learning lasts forever. Unlike learning how to bike, it never ends.
For this reason and because I know the pleasure to be had for communicating in a new language only verbally but also understating written words of it, I said “I don’t wanna quit now” when about a month ago someone saw me review some points of Russian. She then said, “Why?” I wondered what kind of question that was. The same person saw me do the same yesterday and asked, “Still learning?” Oh no… It seems so easy to be content for her about language. In this country, many people seem to believe they are competent, say, with English. But in many cases, their English doesn’t sound like English (keys are all wrong) and sometimes, even often, they ignore the established grammatical rules. I believe that they are in the same position as me as for many of them English is not the primary language spoken at home.
My view is reinforced when I see people who say they wanna learn Japanese. Many of them I’ve met say they don’t need the alphabet. Do they not see the shape of each basic letter interesting? Do they not wanna learn how each letter is pronounced and how they are combined to make words? From my experience with English, I don’t consider them seriously interested in learning the language. Not only making my place smaller, am I narrowing my mind thinking this way?

*
I bought yet another книжный шкаф and arranged it to be delivered on Thursday. I’ve been noticing that some of the shelves are bending because of the weight, just like when I was staying at Kim Tian.

No comments: