Monday, January 23, 2017

Do I Still Remember How to Sleep? + OA's case



It seems I’ve forgotten how to sleep. It doesn’t matter
whether it’s a bottle of wine or two. I can’t sleep when
I should.
 
OA’s case: It was already many years ago. It should be in
2009 soon before the lunar new year holiday. I stayed
three or four nights at a US15-a-night guest house. She
was friendly, or rather aggressive as she took my hand the
moment we met for the first time. She navigated me and took
me to a few places of interest carrying me on her Honda. It
was when I was starting my own business, feeling very
insecure. But her intention seemed to get married to any
decent man to get out of poverty. I was not really ready
not least because of my business. And though she was really
“taking care” of me, her small lies made to achieve her goal
were annoying me. She asked me to lend her S$200, and I gave
her S$100 almost knowing the money would never come back to
me. I remember saying to her, “I’m the poorest Japanese in
Singapore.” Within a month or so, I went back to see her,
and it was after the lunar new year holiday. I stayed for
about three weeks at the guesthouse I had lodged on my
previous occasion. It was US14 a night. And I met her
everyday, except a night I spent in Cambodia, during my stay.
I even visited her house and met her very extended “who’s
who” family. Those days remain fond memories but the game she
seemed to be playing really bothered me. During my stay, she
started working at a Singaporean restaurant and after a few
days, she said, “The wife of the owner (Singaporean) is
jealous of me.” We kept in touch for some time, chatting
online. In the following years, she wrote me to ask for money
twice. I refused both times. By refusing, I may have destroyed
her family. And I'm feeling more insecure than I was then.

No comments: