Sunday, November 04, 2007

Osaka, Kitashinchi, Torijin and G. Mahler

北新地デ酒飲ンダ後ノ、ソバハウマカッタ。「とり甚」ノ鶏モ、ウマカッタ。皮ノカラ揚げ。モウ、7、8年前ノコトダナ。2度ト味ワエナイカモ。

*
Compact discs were not available yet. I don’t remember why I chose Mahler’s 1st symphony (Bruno Walter, CBS Symphony). It was when I was 17 or 18 years old. The last movement that starts with a cymbal was shocking and as it progresses, its sound strongly moved my emotion.

I understand I am one of those people who can be easily touched by andante, adagio, adagietto or Langsam--Ruhevoll--Empfunden (Slowly, tranquil, deeply felt) movements. The 3rd’s last, 6th’s 3rd and the 9th’s last… And all of the 2nd and 9th.

Mahler’s symphonies are one long series. They shouldn’t be listened to separately. And his music, I believe, contributed negatively to my psyche.

No comments: