Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Wanna Stay in Bed Forever

I had to cancel today’s 10:30 am visit though I think I could have gone out if I pushed myself hard enough. Right after I emailed to notify my no-show, I went back to bed, and stayed there until 2 am.

*
With mother and brother, I was walking down a well-tended road with a white center line newly painted. To our right, there was quiet sea. They may have proceeded without me. I don’t know… But suddenly I found myself alone. Across the road, there was a large group of people, men and women, young and old, celebrating the day with some ritual performances. I joined them. The structures were all rusty low tin-roofed and it was a messy place. Nothing was clean. I even found two human-sized brown rabbits that were talking to each other in a language I didn’t understand. It was rather a scary scene.

I wanted to leave this bizarre place but didn’t know the way at all. Then, I saw a man in the crowd, whose presence definitely changed my mind. He was Fujita Manabu (藤田学). The rookie of the year in 1976. I approached him and asked him if he remembered an enveloped containing a 500 yen bill I had sent to him in 77. “Oh, it was you!” he said. We took a few group photos with him in the center. He was a celebrity in town.

*
In (half) sleep, I was really confused about where I was, Japan or here. Maybe I was a bit hungry (whole day, no meal), seriously thinking about get some instant noodle or something from a kitchen cabinet. There is no such cabinet here. The image I was seeing was definitely of my old home in Japan…

No comments: