Thursday, January 27, 2022

Invisible and Forgotten

The covid-19 pandemic makes me realize again and again that the government of this country does not consider people like me, foreigners with long-term visa and companies lawfully established and managed by foreigners members of the society, by not making them eligible for any kind of public assistance. We are totally invisible and forgotten, and there is no parliamentarian who represents us or shows even a bit of care toward us. Even in a prolonging crisis, financial certainly and mental likely, such as this caused by the pandemic, the government does not seem paying any attention to what measures can be formulated to help them cope with it.

Not many weeks ago, I found a letter from the community council or something in my letter box, offering an online voucher that can be used at certain shops in the neighborhood. I thought, "a tiny help, finally." I duly downloaded the application and entered my particulars only to find the message, "Available only for citizens."

I've been thinking about leaving this country for some years, no matter how vaguely. This thinking began before the pandemic hit the world. Leaving takes orderly preparation which requires some months at least. And now, with restrictions of movement, quarantines and all that, how can I start preparation? I have to start with deciding where I should go from here. My home country is one of the options but it is almost as foreign as others.

No comments: