Monday, April 13, 2009

Sound Engineering

Several weeks ago, I downloaded nine music video clips from YouTube. Each lasts for about 10 minutes and I merged them by using the Movie Maker. Unfortunately, there is a shorter-than-one-second gap between the clips. No matter how short they are, they produce unmistakable silence. This afternoon, I got a sound editing software and with it extracted the sound of the whole video to cut out the silent parts. Finding the parts by looking at the sound wave, I could easily cut them out. Big kick out of it! Now that I’ve found where to cut, I can edit the visual part of the video.

*
Last night’s sleep, or lack thereof, was terrible. Though I didn’t have an afternoon nap, sleep didn’t come to me. It was 4:30 am when I stopped reading, believing I would fall asleep soon. Still no sleep. I decided to plug the ears. Still no sleep. After a few vivid episodes in dream, I got out of the bed well into afternoon, exhausted.

*
I was in a world where it was not possible for me to be good…
… [One] has to remember that the child has little sense of proportion or probability. A child may be a mass of egoism and rebelliousness, but it has no accumulated experience to give it confidence in its own judgements. One the whole it will accept what it is told, it will believe in the most fantastic way in the knowledge and powers of the adults surrounding it.
I had learned early in my career that one can do wrong against one’s will, and before long I also learned that one can do wrong without ever discovering what one has done or why it was wrong. There were sins that were too subtle to be explained, and there were others that were too terrible to be mentioned.
A child which appears reasonably happy may actually be suffering horrors which it cannot or will not reveal. (George Orwell, “Such, Such Were the Joys”)

No comments: