Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Work in Tokyo, Stops at Immigration, and EP Process Still Giving Me Trouble



Blood test for HIV on 2nd and TB X-ray on 3rd. 
 
Work in Tokyo from 5th to 9th, which went with no big
hiccup despite an unfamiliar place and unfamiliar people.
There, even “konbini-bento” satisfies me. I’d had checked
how to go from Narita to the hotel by public
transportation. But tired enough, I used an airport bus
to Ginza (3,100 yen). Walking to the hotel in Tsukiji, I
passed Chikuyotei and Kabukiza. Leaving my suitcase at
the hotel, I went out as I could only check myself in at
3:00 pm. I had a cheap soba lunch near Kabukiza and spent
my time at a coffee shop to wait for the time to arrive
at 3:00 pm. In the hotel room, I found out that the
suitcase was locked, which I had never done before.
Someone who touched it locked it for me. Airports? Bus?
Hotel? No way to find out. The lock was broken with a
huge pair of scissors by hotel staff.
 
Saturday night, I was stopped at the Changi immigration
counter and brought to the “office” where I was charged
S$50.00 for a one-day overstaying. My understanding was,
and still is, after the expiry of an EP, one is given a
social visit pass automatically, in my case for 30 days,
and also as long as an appeal is on, the applicant is
allowed to stay. One of the officers told me I had to
“cancel” my EP and automatic 30 days would not be given.
He said, “Who told you so?” quite rudely. As my wallet
had only S$30 in cash, another officer accompanied me to
a nearby ATM.
 
Saturday morning, I was stopped at the Changi immigration
counter and brought to the “office” where my EP status
was real. An officer scanned the fingerprints of both
thumbs.
 
Kicking myself to finish the EP process quickly, I logged
into the EP Online website and found my company’s name
had been erased again. It was so easy before. I only had
to make an appointment with the EP Centre, sign a few
papers and made another appointment for collecting the EP
card. Now, it seems I have to make a request to MOM to
issue the card, which is not possible with the company’s
name erased. I sent an inquiry to MOM. I know you're saying,
"Go home." 
 
Conversation between Neil Davis and Kondo Koichi:
 「オレはもう家庭を持つまいと思ってたんだ。どうせこんな商売だ。いつ
どんな死に方をするかわからない。だけど最近なあ」
「弱気になったのかい」
「いや、君をみているとつくづく羨ましくなることがあるんだよ。いい家庭を持つということも
やはりこの世のしあわせだなあ」「ベテラン記者の死 妻と娘の国へ行った特派員155ペ
ージ」
 
I’m not envious of anyone. I’m just deeply worried about my
own future. A happy family is what I want to have, anywhere
in the world. 
 
Alcohol intake record:
September 1 (Thu.): 3/4 bottle of rose
September 2 (Fri.): rest of the bottle
September 3 (Sat.): a few small plastic cups of Chardonnay
September 4 (Sun.) – 9 (Fri.): lots of beer, shochu, whiskey
and soda, and wine
September 10 (Sat.): a few small plastic cups of Chardonnay
(on board) and 2/3 bottle of white wine
September 11 (Sun.): rest of the bottle
September 12 (Mon.): 2/3 bottle of red wine 

No comments: