Monday, September 19, 2016

An Appointment with EP Center + MLB & NPB

My name was erased because my EP had expired. This is like a half of
me is in this country without visa and the other half, whose visa
renewal application has been approved, is waiting for the EP card to
be requested by the visa-less me. MOM said in its email of 16th I
would have to make an appointment with the EP center for the
issuance of EP. I made an appointment for 19th, today.
And today, the Havelock exit was terribly clogged. I checked in at the
EP center one minute late (12:16). After about 15 minutes, I noticed
a staff was checking the check-in slips of people around me and she
was looking for me. Then things went without an issue. The only thing
I didn’t expect was an ID photo session, after a bad night sleep and in
a pajama T-shirt. They now have an EP card delivery service. There
will still be a few days before I get my new card.
 
It occurred to me almost suddenly I should watch MLB all-star and
World Series games. I started downloading what I could find online
about two months ago, and I’ve already watched many all-star games
starting with the one in 1968 and World Series games of 1985 and 86.
Game 7 in 85, Games 6 and 7 are really amazing. It is really nice to
find players in those old games (Frank Howard, Don Buford, and much
more recently Ben Oglivie, Don Money, Goose Gossage, etc.) and
those stir-ups in those game who would go to Japan for a few more
years of playing. Perhaps in the same way that people in Japan are not
very much interested in baseball in Korea or Taiwan, the commentators
of those broadcasts in the US don’t care about Japanese baseball,
which is mentioned only a few times in the games I’ve watched. The
oldest was made about a post-season homerun competition in Tokyo
between Henry Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh when Aaron was at bat
in the 1972 all-star game. Joe Garagiola was nonchalant, only asking
who would be the pitchers. And another time was during a game of
1985 World Series when Randy Baas, a former Houston Astro, was
mentioned by Jim Palmer because Baas broke the homerun record by
then held by Oh. In fact, Baas didn’t break it. Did Palmer say he did, or
he was going to break it?
I feel only negatively for those Japanese players who went to the US.
The only exceptions are Hideo Nomo because without him others
probably would not follow and a few guys who went there straight
without experiencing any NBP career. Japan’s media even report no
game appearances of them. About non-American players, I think also
about those from Cuba, Dominican Republic or Venezuela, whose
experience in MLB must be fundamentally different from that of the
Japanese players who have already made enough money in Japan before
going to the US.
 
Alcohol intake record:
September 13 (Tue.) – 19 (Mon.): red wine
 
Drinking habit is coming back…

No comments: