Friday, March 18, 2011

In This Disaster, Keepin My Routine Is Also a Contribution

So much has happened for the past week and I am sure so much more will happen. This morning, SDF helicopters sprayed sea water onto the No. 3 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant four times in an attempt to cool it down. And this afternoon, the government also used high-pressured water-cannon vehicles, designed for dispersing unruly mobs.

When events of this magnitude (literally) occurred, it will take some time to collect my mind. This is confounded by the fact that I still have to maintain my everyday routine. In a sense, I, a overseas Japanese, believe doing things as I usually do them is a form of expression of my positive contribution, which I also believe was reflected by the calm attitude of many people, evidenced so many times before in emergencies.

And almost naturally, foreign (=non-Japanese) media have been reporting that a devastating earthquake hit Japan. True, but if the reporting gives their audience the wrong impression that the whole country has been destroyed or is now being destroyed, I should say they are not doing their job as journalists. We all know that something unbelievably extraordinary has been happening. But what we need is accurate reports that do not cause any kind of panic. Some media guys seem to love panics on the principle that good news is no news.

No comments: