Sunday, February 08, 2009

Place Found & Miss Q Unhappy

On Friday, I received a reply about a place and was invited to see it. I thought that it would be the 2nd story of an old shophouse and downstairs would be a small restaurant or something. Noisy until the wee hours. As I tried to gather information on the area on the web and even Google Earth, I found out it is located in a quite nice area that is actually conserved for historical reason. Late afternoon yesterday, I went out to see the place, which is located in the Outram area. It was, of course, an old structure. (That is why the area is conserved.) There were three apartments for renting in the three-story house with the rent going down as the floor goes up. Every one of them is equipped with a small kitchen and a bathroom (or shower space). More than anything else, I can have my own privacy as the apartment is self-contained and there are not many chances to live in a Peranakan house. Also because I didn’t want any more hassle about finding a place, I decided to take the cheapest one on the top floor and issued cheques on the spot, one for the management company and another for the agent. The guy from the management company: “From Korea or Japan? Are you doing interior design?” Do I look like a Korean or Japanese? (I do.) Do I look like any kind of designer? The agent: “You are lucky. They (a HK couple, who was also coming to see the house) also wanted to rent the place.” It may or may not be true. I’ll try to make the place as comfortable as I can. After all, I survived two years at Tomlinson!

Then Miss Q. I messaged her about my having found a place immediately after I left there. She, who was quite hard on me by saying, “you are not doing anything,” now replied, “Sounds fishy. Pre war house where got so cheap.” I’m not renting the whole house and told her how much the rent is. “Veri expensive.” Instead of congratulating me, she seemed unhappy about my choice. She complains about every decision I make. Funny.

I thought about going to CC straight from the house. Hopped on MRT and realized with the announcement that I was going to the wrong direction, that is, going home. Getting out of the station/shopping mall complex, I realized that I was taking the escalator to go to the wrong side of Tiong Bahru Road. My mind was not collected, obviously.

After all I went out again to go to CC, taking the correct bus. A group of friends, all Japanese, asked my friend and me to join them quite insistently. They planned to go to a “normal” pub where Thai girls gather. The place was rather large and loud and no Thai girl in sight. We decided to walk on to Duxton, where I think the structures should be also conserved but the whole stretch seems to be lined with Filipina pubs. We tried two, and both disappointment for my own reason. No way. However, I walked on to Chinatown alone, with all stupidity, to find the pub that I had visited before. Luckily, the place was gone.

“[Right] up to Pearl Harbour the American movie industry had an agreement with the Japanese Government never to present a Japanese character in an unfavourable light!” (“As I Please, 3” by George Orwell)

IS THIS REALLY TRUE?? I’ve never heard of this.

No comments: