Sunday, April 29, 2007

Salute to the Flag, Day of Showa

Twenty-ninth of April, the Day of Showa (昭和の日), the date of birth of Emperor Showa. If you like to condemn, belittle or hate the Showa Era and the late emperor because of Japan’s war in Asia, go ahead. That’s one way to remember the era. I, for one, would like to think it is more important to understand why our country decided to embark on a disastrous war. No nation’s history is irreproachable, just like a person’s life. And the Showa Era was not all about war. Japan experienced a great transformation politically, economically and socially. I should have a mind that allows me to embrace the whole, beautiful and ugly. That’s called true love. The Emperor Showa I remember was just an old man who spoke with a funny accent, his mouth twitching. On this day, I salute our beautiful flag!

*
Last night, I started “At Canaan’s Edge,” the last volume of Taylor Branch’s trilogy on Martin Luther King Jr. and his civil rights movement, covering the events from 1954 to 1968. The first volume, “Parting the Waters” and the second, “Pillar of Fire,” were published in 1988 and 1998 respectively. “At Canaan’s Edge” was out in 2006. I find rather surprising that King’s activities lasted only for less than 15 years. I read the first two volumes perhaps in 1998. For JFK and LBJ, the later period overlaps the Vietnam War. Ten years since then, my memories of them are obscure… How close will Dr. King manage to get to the Promised Land?

*
Early morning, a wild jungle thunder storm. Though I’ve never seen a real bombing raid, I was wondering if it was not like this, with the whole neighbourhood illuminated up by flares and sharp explosions lacerating the sky and the resonating groaning low but loud.

*
I met my friend, Nakajima-kun, again in a dream. Somewhat pale, he showed me a surgery scar, his upper chest down to the abdomen with many stitches. “Glad to see you alive!” I remember you, man!

No comments: