Monday, April 23, 2007

BORIS YELTSIN DIES

The same view from the same window
The only thing that changes is the shape of the moon

*
After the time passed two o’clock, I went out to pay an overdue phone bill and to buy some beer. These days alcohol is not as inviting as before, as I now realise it does not assist me in organising my sleep. The reason I decided to go out at that odd hour is Stingo. He was drinking beer in New York with his father who from the South was having bourbon. My beer didn’t betray me. I had only fitful sleep. Waste of precious monetary resource.

Following “Ko-jin,” I started “Kokoro (こころ, 1914).” Again the story is about a neurotic guy (先生), who knows something about being betrayed, and his relations with the daughter (御嬢さん) of a widow (奥さん) and his childhood friend, “K.” K, a son of a Buddhist monk, is very principled and can be argumentative. A straight arrow, who seeks enlightenment through hardships. “先生,” whose mind was somewhat warmed in the company of two women and especially by his fond feeling toward the daughter, brought “K” to his lodging from pure friendship, against an initial opposition from “奥さん” to let him to ease his psycho. His plan goes well. Too well, in fact…

Between “Ko-jin” and “Kokoro.” there seem changes as to how Soseki places commas. Or so I believe. I find it more agreeable in “Kokoro.”

*
In the primary-school science class, there were assignments to observe constellations. Yes, stars. Those days, it was still possible to find the Polestar, Septentrions, Orion, Scorpio, et cetera, depending upon the season. It is a pity if kids of the present day no longer can observe them because the sky is not dark enough and shrouded with polluted air. Before coming to this country, I innocently expected a starry sky, forgetting how urbanised this place is.

*
BORIS YELTSIN DIES

No comments: