Sunday, March 03, 2013

Dreams of the Past Few Nights and Lucky Graham Greene



I have had a few dreams for the past few nights and most of them I forgot. Why do I forget them, so vivid when I’m asleep and half asleep, right when I get out of bed? I even try to stay in bed a little longer only to remember them. But one of them was a musical rehearsal on the beach. Some ten kids of eight or ten years old was practicing what they were supposed to say in unison. Just one line. And the language was English. And I was there with them to do the same. Suddenly asked to do it, I couldn’t follow the kids. The scene changed to another place, apparently in a place like a classroom. An Asian woman, still young, perhaps in her 20s, was asked a question a few times and every time she answered, “Ask me again in a minute.” Fast forward to the party after the musical. A woman, this time Westerner, asked me about a dish. I answered, “This is cabbage with some meat inside.”

*
Graham Greene was very much depressive, but he was in regular contact with his mother and brothers, especially Hugh Greene. Lucky man. He had family members who were happy to accept him.
Now I’m reading the second volume of The Life of Graham Greene by Norman Sherry. The pages about Malaya and Vietnam draw me in.

No comments: