Friday, February 22, 2008

Cheated in HCMC

2008年2月21日(水)0:00 (Vietnam time)

I went to the coffee shop (“Bobby Brewers”) as usual. I couldn’t finish my work today very unfortunately because I didn’t receive an answer to the questions I sent yesterday. Apparently the shop forgot my order of a hot café latte. So I spent a few hours there only with water. It was OK because I go there to work and check my e-mail inbox and papers, not really to have a coffee or anything. Then because of no-answer to my questions, I got back to working on my course assignments and I found out that they were tough. I managed to find a seemingly good material for writing work by learners, but I’m not sure how to make them prepare appropriately for their writing, which is the fundamental point for the assignment. Some adjustments may be necessary.

*
I bought a 2GB-memory card for my camera yesterday. While I was not sure if the card was set properly into the camera, I suspected that it was really not functioning. I selected the memory-formatting function despite the warning of “All images will be deleted.” As a precaution, I “protected” them before formatting. But, but… it seems they are all gone!! Oh no…

*
Fidel Castro announced his resignation from the major positions he has held since the revolution. How this affects the Cuban (and US) politics remains to be seen. (Photo: a Vietnam paper reporting Fidel's resignation)

23:26 (Vietnam time)

My first bad experience in Vietnam: I’ve got cheated twice by the same tiny shop. The memory card I bought there was not for cameras. Last night, I tried to set the card and immediately found it didn’t seem to fit to my camera. Even so, I still believed the fault was with my way of setting the card because I asked a girl and a guy manning the shop if the card would work with my camera and they answered yes. And it was definitely stupid of me to press “yes” to formatting. All the photos I’d taken by then were gone.

This afternoon, I checked the operation manual of the camera online and the drawing clearly showed the card was not the type to be used for the camera. I brought the card to the shop to get my money back. The man there showed me another card, which was just fine with the camera. I wondered, just as I did yesterday, why the package was already opened… Moreover, the formatting message, which should’ve appeared automatically on the camera screen, didn’t appear. Well, I should’ve asked but at the same time I thought that “Maybe it is the way of business transactions here…” At a nearby restaurant, I turned on the camera and discovered three photos that were left behind. The card was not new!! I have no idea who took the photos. I erased two of the three, and I think I should upload to my blog the remaining one, which showed a smiling blonde lady. And she is beautiful!!

*
I learned that the fax machine of the hotel is broken. What’s worse, a document seems missing. I managed to arrange it so that I can receive the documents by fax at another hotel. So troublesome… It is simply impossible that anything would go missing as I’ve never taken any document outside. It is taking time to clear the last step to complete the work. This shouldn’t have taken this long if I were in Singapore.

*
I spent many hours in bed while waking up several times. It’s been a tiring day with a few troubles.

No comments: