Saturday, January 14, 2017

Tonight



Going out (or doing anything, even taking a shower)
requires a firm resolve these days.
I thought about going to “S” again. I had run out of
cigarettes and emptied the very little amount of wine
which remained in two bottles, one red, the other white.
After midnight, I went out to buy a pack and, using this
almost as an excuse, I crossed Upper Thomson Road and
hopped into “S” and found the place much louder with music
than it was my previous four times. As usual, I took a
seat at the counter and the TV screen was showing an
American movie which was totally unrelated to the music.
I found a man, someone fat of Indian ancestry with a
shaved head and white beard, sitting at one end of the
counter, as the source of this loudness, probably a
regular customer of many years, I guessed. He had hooked
up his computer with the speakers of the place and was
playing whatever music he wanted to hear with the videos
streaming with his computer. Transferring the bar into his
own living room. A few other regulars and staff seemed
enjoying it, but I felt very strange because that is not
my way of enjoying music. And it now brings up memories of
“A,” who at another bar would ask the staff to turn the TV
channel to Formula 1 car race, without ordering any drink.
I had already finished a jug of beer when I saw the man
sitting next to me on the other side puked on the floor.
I heard the splash. He, Chinese Singaporean (probably),
had enough control of himself as he didn’t throw up on the
counter. I knew he was drunk from the way he was talking.
In some minutes, “M” found the puke and said, “What the
fuck is this?” I nodded to her and she asked me, “He? He?”
I nodded again.
 
Alcohol Intake Record: 
January 13 (Fri.): red/white wine, beer

No comments: