Friday, October 28, 2016

Singaporeans and "Whereby"



Yesterday, I talked to a young Singaporean engineer in an interview wherein I worked as the interpreter, and he said “whereby” once when he answered. He, a university graduate, is the third Singaporean I’ve met who said “whereby” in these few years, and every one of these occasions was rather formal or they were situations wherein they must have been feeling a bit nervous. And in every case, the use of “whereby” was grammatically wrong. It seems to me that they used “whereby” in a place in a sentence where “in which,” “wherein” or “where” should have been justified, but not “whereby.” I wonder if this is because of their school education in which they learned this wrong use of “whereby.” And I’ve probably never had an occasion on which a Singaporean talked in a sentence wherein other relative adverbs were used.

 

Alcohol intake record:

October 20 (Thu.): red wine

October 21 (Fri.): Saigon beer, 333 x 3

October 22 (Sat.): 333 x 4

October 23 (Sun.): 333 x 5, Smirnoff “ice” cocktail x 2

October 24 (Mon.) – 28 (Fri.): red wine

No comments: