Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Interpretation Work in Tokyo and EP Renewal



I came back to Singapore late afternoon of last Saturday.

I felt so cold at first on the return SQ flight as SIA is notoriously known and then started so hot. My flying experience is always bad.

In Tokyo, I went through fabulous and also ridiculous moments. I really enjoyed working with people from Santa Ana. I appreciate their appreciation they expressed for my work. But the Singapore team was a completely different story. To begin with, I hate hearing their discordant accent and rule-breaking way of speaking.

Miss Chilli Padi was very loud and going supersonic, banging on my head with her voice. Despite my begging to provide me background information and go to slower, she still seemed to believe that she only had to sit me in the room and everything would be fine. It was just like the meeting they had last October. Then, at the beginning of the meeting, she told me to give me time to translate. She never did. Once she started, she was talking nonstop. This time, on the last day in particular, she went super supersonic and ended the day quickly after lunch, allowing her and her colleagues to have time for yet another chance of shopping in Tokyo. The voice of Miss Actress was metallic, especially when she says “be” of “because,” and piercing into my brain. Both of them have only sloppy knowledge of English grammar.

I really wonder if they ever look at their way of speaking and realize they should show more respect to the language. It’s unbelievably funny to know that some people here are even proud of their style English, which does not sound and work as it should to be accepted internationally.

Good news was that on 23rd I found the Ministry had accepted my appeal for EP renewal. Yesterday, I went to Thomson Medical Center for HIV blood test. Thursday, I’ll bring the result, which is available tomorrow, to the EP Center to get my new EP card.

No comments: