Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hookers Gone (For Now), Net Trouble Solved (For Now) and Readying for Laser Knife



The day after the “All arrested” day, I believe those women, most likely from the PRC, were doing their business just like their arrest. Why were they here? I don’t know. Perhaps they got released to pack up their things for expulsion to earn extra quick bucks and they didn’t want to waste their time before their flights back home. Immediately after they were out of here, two women, also from the PRC I guess, moved in. Their case was not as obvious, but I still suspect they were involved in vice activities.

For the past several days, it seems this apartment house has been cleared of illegal prostitutes (prostitution itself is legal in this country). Has anyone asked the prime minister whey it remains legal? He would say, “It’s a form of commercial transactions.”

And on internet connection here, it got effectively impossible to access to the internet on October 3. The GPRS signal, which, if I believe what my computer screen says, excellent with almost 100% signal strength, was not doing its job for me. The idea of getting a router to enhance the connection came to me and I rushed to a computer shop to get one. Trying to make the router work with my SingTel modem (dongle), I only got funny results. I even called the customer service of the router company three times and I gave up. Now I thought the problem should be with the modem. Next day, I went to VivoCity SingTel shop to buy a new modem. Oh no, the shop was under renovation and closed. No choice, I moved on the shop in Somerset.

The shop in Somerset was producing a nice ambience to calm down excited customers. But the place is not designed to make me even more frustrated, not telling me which service counter I should go to. After all, it was the information counter where I made my enquiry. I probably waited for some 10 minutes before my turn came, and waited for another 10 minutes before my number appeared on those displays.

Yes, I got a new modem (and downgraded my subscription for phone calls). The guy who attended to me asked, “Do you still think it’s because of this (modem)?” before I proceeded to the payment counter. I didn’t care. I paid up S$130 and went out. As I wanted to know if this new modem worked with my PC, I hopped in a CBTL outlet at Orchard Central and connected it to my PC. Superb.

Satisfied, I came back home and connected both to each other. I only found the same stupid condition of connection. As I really needed to proceed with my work, I went to VivoCity again seeking stable connection. I found a seat to sit down on at “Kopitiam” and started working, worrying about how long the PC battery would last. I didn’t find any outlet for my free power consumption. Maybe the society is moving for the better preventing people from consuming free electricity. Again, the connection was simply excellent there, which convinced me that the problem must be with the signal condition at this house.

Still while at “Kopitiam,” I sent an enquiry to SingTel to ask what was wrong with my place.

Since then, the connection to the internet has improved. And I noticed the other signal types.

Then, a business trip to a distant land has been confirmed. Really distant. Now, it’s time to go under the laser knife to correct my terrible eyesight as I don’t want to fly while handling my contact lenses and old glasses. My pre-op consultation session is scheduled on 19th of this month. Till then, I was asked not to wear my contacts. This has been a tough day with my very old glasses. More days to go before the session.

No comments: