Sunday, May 27, 2012

Majissu-ka, Sugge'e, Yabbe'e



Last Monday, another round of a three-week interpretation work started. I really appreciate people’s trust in my work.

And Tuesday afternoon, I began feeling sick. Preemptively I went to a clinic. Not very preemptively. When the doctor measured my body temperature, it was already over 39 degrees. He gave me a shot in my butt.

Then this time I’m having trouble understanding the kind of Japanese one of the three engineers speaks. It appears that he expresses his ideas and feeling with only a few words: “majissu-ka,” “sugge’e,” and “yabbe’e.” Just like a high school kid of today. At first, I thought that he was uttering such absurd words because he was quite overwhelmed by the content of the training and more generally by the fact that he was overseas. Though this may not be totally wrong, given that he came to attend a training course, his way of expression is inappropriate, to say the least. And at the end of Friday’s training, the other two were talking about a theoretical what-if situation, which is not possible to reproduce with the system because it is designed to prevent such a situation in the first place. And he chipped in. I was astounded because what he said there then demonstrated how poor his understanding of a basic principle of the system was. I think I made a face towards him that showed my unhappiness, and he said to me, “I thought I had to say something because they were arguing so hotly.” I replied, “Give me a break.”

No comments: