Sunday, April 01, 2012

APARTMENT RENTAL FRAUDSTER, BE CAREFUL


A few days ago, I found an online post for an apartment for rent, which seemed too good to be true. The renter claimed that she had bought the property four years ago, but had to move to her own country, Spain, thus now looking for someone who would rent the place.
From the photos attached to the post, the property was superbly furnished. Anyway I sent a message to the listed e-mail address.
She asked me to send money amounting to S$3,600 (two-month rent of S$2,400, and a one-month deposit) to start this rent transaction. For me to send this amount, she requested a Western Union money transfer to a real estate company, which, upon confirming the transfer from me, was to obtain the keys and the contract document from her. The company subsequently would send them to me and an authorized agent would accompany me to the property so that I could finally decide whether to rent it.
After she specified the way for finalizing the contract as above, I asked her to provide the exact address of the apartment.
I checked the address with Google Earth and found it was a green field, or a cemetery, next to a mosque. In the meantime, I searched for posts for property rental scams. I saw a post that says something like, “Owner overseas, request for Western Union money transfer.”
Luckily, I didn’t send any money. I found this warning in time. The name of this 51-year-old Spanish civil-engineering project manager, as the person claims, is Gonzalez Castanon Elena. Be careful, guys.
For the rent renewal matter, I have decided to engage a lawyer.

No comments: