Monday, August 03, 2009

$$ Is Flying

Last night, I inserted “Inside the Vietnam War” into the CD/DVD drive of my PC. Almost as usual, I was instructed to change the regional code to play the DVD. When I tried to do so, another message informed me that I could no longer change the code as “a certain number” of attempts had been reached. So, there was no way to play the DVD with the PC. A new DVD player was necessary and I, with not altogether a happy mind, went to an appliance shop, after visiting a SingPost and a UOB in the Tanjong Pagar area, to get a player, and a small TV set, both sales items. Another instance of unexpected expenditure. Fuck!

I got Andrew X. Pham’s “Catfish and Mandala: A two-wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam,” which “Good Morning Hanoi” mentioned, “The Eaves of Heaven: A Life in Three Wars” by the same author, “Last Night I Dreamed Peace: The Diary of Dang Thuy Tram” translated by Pham. I also found “Burmese Days” (George Orwell) at the shelf of travelogue or something, which I’d been looking for since the beginning of the year.

*
けさ、久しぶりにコンタクトレンズの夢を見た。これまで繰り返し見たハードレンズが巨大化したのではなくて、左のソフトレンズの真ん中にバブルがあって「痛い痛い」夢だった。

2 comments:

Doctor Nick said...

sorry to inform you after the fact, but there are ways of playing a dvd without futzing with the region code. VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) ignores dvd region coding and will play anything pretty much any video without complaint.

Old Hawk said...

Thank you for the info, Doctor!