Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"Communist Devils"

I slept deeply but much shorter than usual thus was wanting more, though quite awake and keen during the daytime. The taxi driver of this morning was very talkative. After checking my nationality, he asked me “how many languages” Japan has. Someone has told him that there are “three languages.” Ah, it is not three languages, but three different scripts including Chinese one. The language is made up with a combination of the three. “Is it possible to write all in the two Japanese scripts?” “Yes, but hard to read.” He went on to speak about “communists” in China, who are “devils who knows only how to kill. Satan, destroying everything that God created” He reviewed the war between Vietnam and Communist Khmer Rouge Cambodia, into which China got itself involved to save the Cambodians, perhaps forgetting Vietnam was and still is a communist country. He also complained about the government of this country that has been “supporting China.” I told him that was because of business reasons. He disagreed with me. He also mentioned “Falun Gong” and asked me what I knew about the organization. I don’t know about its teaching, but I know some of the things that “the Chinese government had been doing to it.” Then, he said, the Chinese communists are doing “prostitution.” “Persecution?” “No, it’s prostitution, like here in Geylang, whereby they are trying “to satisfy people by giving them money.” I didn’t understand.

*
Last night, I bought a small dictionary of Vietnamese, and it is very interesting to look at words although pronouncing them is totally a different matter.

(At “Cable Car”)

No comments: