Friday, February 13, 2009

Moving Starts on Friday of 13th

I finally fell asleep after 9 am. When I woke up it was already 4:30 pm. I had an appointment at 6 pm to sign the rent contract. On this auspicious Friday of 13th, I started moving my stuff to Neil Road. I made two trips today carrying 60 Japanese books altogether. I have no idea how many trips it takes to complete the moving. But I know I have no choice but engaging a mover at least for the boxes of the accounting documents.

When I signing the rent contract, I noticed it said “Room 303.” I remembered the room I decided to rent was “302” and I had already sent out a letter for this address change to the bank. Then, I thought it would not be possible and maybe I mixed up things. Coming back to T.Bahru, I was still thinking about it and took another look at the two receipts I got last week. Both of them said “Room 302.” I immediately made a call, something I do not usually do, to the man from the management company to ask him whether there was something funny here. He said, “I made a mistake.” Now I have to produce another letter to the bank. I was not still convinced when I went to the place for the second time. But, I found a Chinese family in 302. It should have been an honest mistake on his part. The door of 302 was open and I had a moment’s look there. I said “I’ve just moved in” to whoever might be inside. I saw a woman who seemed in her 60’s and another woman maybe of her 30’s. A boy was also there. As I left, the door was still open and I saw a man with no shirt. He is probably the husband of the older woman.

Talking about 303, the biggest problem will be the toilet. The space is so tiny that it reminded me of the one I had at my Osaka apartment. And it looks like a public toilet cubicle as it is not really “sealed.” It is just smaller. When anyone who is bigger than the size of a small kid sits on it, the door comes right in front of the eyes. Though it has a drainage hole on its floor, it does not seem easy to keep it clean. I should have to clean it while I am sitting on it!

No comments: